- 500g large prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt to taste
For the Bhuna Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons oil (mustard oil is traditionally used, but any cooking oil will work)
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 large tomatoes, pureed
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnishing
- Marinating the Prawns:
- In a bowl, mix the cleaned and deveined prawns with turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, and salt.
- Allow the prawns to marinate for at least 20-30 minutes. You can keep them in the refrigerator during this time.
- Cooking the Bhuna Prawn:
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Adding Spices:
- Add the ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté for a couple of minutes until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala. Mix well and cook for a minute to allow the spices to bloom.
- Adding Tomato Puree:
- Pour in the tomato puree and the cherry tomatoes and cook the mixture until the oil separates from the masala. This indicates that the tomatoes are cooked and the masala is well-cooked.
- Cooking the Prawns:
- Add the marinated prawns to the masala and stir well to coat them with the sauce.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the prawns are cooked through. Be careful not to overcook them, as they can become rubbery.
- Finishing Touches:
- Once the prawns are cooked, adjust the salt and spices according to your taste.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro (coriander leaves).
- Serve the Bhuna Prawn hot with steamed rice, naan, or chapati.
Enjoy your homemade Bhuna Prawn! Remember to adjust the spice levels and ingredients according to your preferences.