Teriyaki Meatball Skewers: Combine the flavors of teriyaki sauce with juicy meatballs. Thread the meatballs onto skewers along with colorful bell peppers and onions. Grill or bake them, basting with a homemade teriyaki glaze made from soy sauce, sake, mirin, sugar, and ginger. here’s a recipe for Teriyaki Meatball Skewers:
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground meat (chicken, beef, pork, or a combination)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the teriyaki sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional, for thickening)
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for about 30 minutes to prevent burning
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Prepare the Meatballs:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, breadcrumbs, chopped onion, minced garlic, egg, soy sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients together until well combined.
- Form the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Make the Teriyaki Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, honey, rice vinegar, minced ginger, and minced garlic.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce is well combined.
- If you want a thicker sauce, mix the cornstarch with a small amount of water to make a slurry and then stir it into the sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Cook the Meatballs:
- Preheat your grill or broiler.
- Thread the meatballs onto the soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill or broil the meatballs, turning occasionally, until they are cooked through and have a nice char on the outside. This will take about 10-15 minutes, depending on the heat of your grill or broiler.
- Brush with Teriyaki Sauce:
- During the last few minutes of cooking, brush the meatballs with the prepared teriyaki sauce, allowing it to caramelize slightly on the meatballs.
- Once the meatballs are cooked and glazed with the teriyaki sauce, remove them from the grill or broiler.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and sliced green onions over the meatballs for garnish.
- Serve the Teriyaki Meatball Skewers with extra teriyaki sauce on the side for dipping.
Enjoy your delicious Teriyaki Meatball Skewers! They make for a great appetizer or main dish, served with rice and vegetables on the side.