Thai Chilli Mussels! This is a delicious and flavorful dish that combines the sweetness of mussels with the spicy kick of Thai flavors. Here’s a simple recipe for you:
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (or 6 shallots)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Red chili flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt, to taste
- Clean and Prepare Mussels:
- Scrub the mussels under cold running water to remove any dirt and debris.
- Remove the beards by giving them a gentle tug. Discard any mussels that are open and do not close when tapped.
- Sauté Aromatics:
- In a large pot or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add Flavors:
- Add the minced garlic and sliced red bell pepper to the pot. Sauté for another 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Thai Red Curry Paste:
- Stir in the Thai red curry paste and cook for about 1 minute to release its flavors.
- Coconut Milk and Seasoning:
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir well to combine with the curry paste.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar, and red chili flakes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Cooking Mussels:
- Carefully add the cleaned mussels to the pot. Cover with a lid and let them cook for about 5-7 minutes. The mussels are done when they have opened up.
- Finishing Touches:
- Squeeze the lime juice over the mussels and give everything a gentle stir.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed by adding more fish sauce, sugar, or salt.
- Garnish and Serve:
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and basil over the mussels for a burst of freshness and flavor.
- Serve the Thai Chilli Mussels in bowls with the fragrant broth and some steamed rice or crusty bread on the side.
Enjoy your homemade Thai Chilli Mussels! Remember that the spiciness level can be adjusted to your preference by using more or fewer chili flakes and curry paste.