Here’s a recipe for a classic Thai noodle soup called “Tom Yum Noodle Soup.” It’s a flavorful and aromatic soup that combines the tanginess of lime, the spiciness of chilies, and the richness of coconut milk. You can adjust the spice level and ingredients according to your preferences.
For the broth:
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2-inch pieces and lightly bruised
- 3-4 slices galangal (or ginger if unavailable)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
- 3-4 Thai bird’s eye chilies, lightly crushed (adjust to your spice preference)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 shallots, halved
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Salt, to taste
For assembling the soup:
- Cooked rice noodles or rice vermicelli
- Cooked protein of your choice: shrimp, chicken, tofu, or a combination
- Sliced mushrooms (straw mushrooms are traditional)
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh Thai basil leaves
- pok choi
- boiled egg
- Lime wedges (optional)
- In a pot, bring the chicken or vegetable broth to a gentle simmer. Add lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, chilies, garlic, and shallots. Allow the flavors to infuse into the broth for about 10-15 minutes.
- If using shrimp paste, lightly toast it in a dry pan until fragrant. Add it to the broth.
- Season the broth with fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and salt. Adjust the seasoning to your taste. The broth should have a balance of sour, salty, and slightly sweet flavors.
- Strain the broth to remove the solid ingredients, leaving you with a clear and flavorful broth.
- Prepare your protein of choice (shrimp, chicken, tofu) by cooking it separately and setting it aside.
- To serve, place a portion of cooked rice noodles or rice vermicelli in a bowl. Add the cooked protein, sliced mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes.
- Ladle the hot broth over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and Thai basil leaves.
- Serve the soup with lime wedges on the side. Squeeze lime juice into the soup before eating to enhance the flavors.
Enjoy your homemade Tom Yum Noodle Soup! Feel free to customize the ingredients and spice level to suit your preferences.